Tuesday, December 21, 2010
Sweet and Sour Meatballs
Everyone knows I am a meatball fanatic. I honestly have 4 different variations of these small to medium sized balls of deliciousness. However they are all sort of an Italian type of dish. So when I saw this type of meatball while browsing Tastespotting.com and immediately put it on the "I have to make this list" I keep. So I did a little research and determined this recipe would be the best for what I was shooting for. I hope you like it and if you have any questions let me know.
* You can use ground whatever to make these but I used beef.
* I used some leftover sweet and sour sauce I had from a previous dish but you can use whatever you want. My recipe is here.
* You can put pretty much whatever veggie you wish in the stir fry so experiment and find what you like.
* Panko bread crumbs can be found in the Asian section of your favorite super market or you can just use regular ones if you like.
* Yields 4 servings
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, half grated, half roughly chopped
- 3 carrots, 1 grated, 2 roughly chopped
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- oil for frying
- 1 green pepper roughly chopped
- 1 red pepper roughly chopped
- 1 bunch green onions roughly chopped
- 1/2 a 20 ounce can pineapple chunk
- 1 cup sweet and sour sauce
- white rice for serving
1. In a mixing bowl combine the ground beef, grated onion, grated carrot, egg, soy, oyster sauce, corn starch, chili sauce and brad crumbs and stir to combine. Then form into 1 inch balls about 1/2 of the size of a golf ball. Then place a cast iron skillet or saute pan on the stove over medium high heat and add enough oil to come half way up the pan. When the oil is hot add the meatballs one at a time to the pan (it took me 2 batches) and cook for about 5 minutes. Then using 2 forks flip the meatballs over and allow the other side to cook about another 4 minutes. Remove from the oil and place on a paper towel covered plate.
2. Add a tablespoon of oil to a large work over high heat. Add the other half of the onion, 2 sliced carrots, green pepper, red pepper, green onions and pineapple and stir fry for about 5 minutes or until the veggies start releasing their liquid. Then add the reserved meatballs and the sweet and sour sauce and cook for about 2 minutes stirring to make sure everything is mixed together. Remove from heat.
3. To serve plate a ball of rice in the middle of the plate and scoop over a few ladle fulls of stir fry. Garnish with sesame seeds and hot sauce if desired.
Posted by Christian and Kishelle Linenko at 9:14 AM