Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches

Buffalo Chicken Sandwich

Who doesn't love hot wings? They're crispy, spicy and oh so satisfying. So why not put that in sandwich form you say, well alright I will. I started with chicken breasts, breaded them, pan fried them the dunked them in sauce and put them on a bun covered in lettuce. I was truly happy with the results and I will be making these again. This is pretty much the exact same sauce I use for my hot wings and almost the same way as I do my fried chicken so I was familiar with the process. If you have any questions please let me know.

Kitchen Notes
* There are a million different hot sauces you can use. I like Franks because it does have a nice kick to it.
* You can use whatever buns you would. I used the cheddar kaiser rolls from Safeway they are top notch.
* You can use whatever kind of oil you want to fry them I used canola because it's what I had left over in my pan from the previous day.
* The cayenne pepper is optional for those who love hot food.
* I use ranch as my bun sauce but you can use blue cheese (I haven't acquired a taste for it).
* You should definitely consider taking an old spice container and combining equal parts salt, pepper and garlic powder, mixing it well and using it for like a base seasoning. I believe Paula Dean calls it her house seasoning or something. I use it on everything.
* Makes 4 large sandwiches.

Ingredients
- 4 medium sized boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt, pepper, and garlic powder mixed together
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks butter)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 to 2 teaspoons cayenne powder
- oil for frying
- 4 buns
- shredded iceberg lettuce
- ranch dressing

The Process
1. In a cast iron skillet fill with 1 inch of your oil of choice and bring to temp over medium high heat. Mean while make your assembly line. Take your chicken breasts and season with s + p + gp mixture, set aside. In a medium bowl combine the eggs, water and 2 tablespoons of hot sauce and whisk together well, set aside. Add the flour to another bowl, set aside. In a medium sauce pan combine the remaining 2 cups of hot sauce, butter, honey and optional cayenne. Bring to a simmer them remove from heat and place in a glass bowl.
2. When the oil is hot, take the chicken and dunk in the egg, then the flour, then the egg, then the flour. Then place in the oil and fry on each side for about 6 minutes or until it turns a dark golden brown. Flip and do the same thing to the other side. When both sides are done, remove from oil and set on a paper towel for 3 minutes to allow to cool slightly. Do this to all the chicken breast pieces (I can usually do 2-3 at a time).
3. To assemble the toast the buns in the broiler then cover each side with the sauce of your choice. Then dunk the fried chicken in the hot sauce mixture and then place directly on the bottom half of the bun. Cover with the shredded lettuce then the other half of the bun.
4. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Okay, so I read Old Spice container...like the cologne, and thought that would be really hard to get the taste out of for storing the mixture in....

    I think I'm going to have to try this very soon!

    Thanks, Christian!

    ReplyDelete