Thursday, October 28, 2010

Mom's Chicken Casserole

Chicken and Rice Casserole

Now if you know me you know I don't like using boxed anything. I prefer to find out how to make it from scratch because then I feel like it's my own. However there are certain things that you can't just let go of such as my Mom's casserole. I have tried to reproduce it using non boxed ingredients but it never turns out as good. This stuff is ridiculously good and please don't let the picture scare you, it tastes amazing.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Ingredients
- 5 chicken breasts cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 2 boxes of Rice a Roni, Herb and Butter flavor
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 1/2 pound mushrooms sliced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

The Process
1. Start cooking the Rice a Roni immediately according to package directions. Then add the oil to a large fry pan and add the chicken and season with garlic powder, 1 teaspoon of the pepper and the salt. Cook until the chicken is done. Strain off the fat and juices and set aside. Combine the cream of mushroom, sour cream and pepper flakes in a bowl and mix well.
2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. When the Rice a Roni is done it's time to assemble the dish. In a large, greased casserole dish lay the chicken down first, then the uncooked mushrooms, then the rice, then the soup mixture. Place in the oven and bake for about 45 minutes or until you see it bubbling and the top is all golden brown.
3. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes. Then stir it all up. Serve with some fresh groun pepper on top.
4. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This was absolutely amazing!! They were out of the herb and butter rice a roni so I used the chicken and mushroom. Wow I definetely was suprised how good this was. I as well am not one for recipes made from box foods but will def make this again!! Thanks Christian!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I know the picture does this dish no justice because it tastes so freakin good. Really happy you liked it.

    ReplyDelete