Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Kalbi Skirt Steak

Kalbi Skirt Steak

For those of you who haven't heard of Kalbi before it's the Korean's version of teriyaki and is sometimes referred to as galbi. Just like teriyaki, there are a million different ways to make your marinade. My old coworker used Sprite in her meat soak. No matter who's recipe you find and try out you will find the following 3 ingredients, soy, garlic and sugar. This is one that I have made up from several different methods and recipes that I am really happy with.

A note on soy sauce. Now for my entire life I was using Kikkoman soy sauce because that's pretty much anyone ever had at the stores. When I got with my wife and took her to my Asian store she almost kicked me in the face when she saw me grab a jug of Kikkoman. For those of you who don't know my beautiful wife is from Hawaiian and they only use Aloha soy. So I tried it out. It's super good I am not going to lie but I think that it's more for eating because it's sweeter. So now I use Aloha soy for eating and fried rice but I use Kikkoman for all my marinades and brines.

Anyways check this out and let me know what you think. You can use any kind of protein for this recipe like chicken or pork or even different cuts of steak. The traditional method is using short ribs which look like this but they can be hard to find and sometimes pretty expensive. The only thing I HIGHLY recommend is that this gets cooked on the grill. The char you get is amazing and shouldn't be missed. If you have any questions please shoot me an email.

Ingredients
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pear, peeled, cored and pureed
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 2 3 lb skirt steaks
- fried rice found here

The Process
1. Take the garlic and place in a bowl with the brown sugar. Using the bottom of a pint glass or a potato masher, smash these 2 ingredients together until you can really smell the garlic. Then add the soy, pepper, pear puree, sesame oil and mirin and whisk until the sugar has dissolved. Place your 2 steaks in a plastic bag with the marinade and place in the fridge for 2 - 3 days.
2. Remove from the fridge and set aside while you prepare your grill. If using a gas grill set it on high and start it then let it sit. If using charcoal prepare the coals for direct heat. When the grill is hot place the steaks directly over the heat and cook for 3 minutes. Flip and cook for an additional 3 - 4 minutes (this is for medium if you like it rarer take it off sooner if you like it more well done, leave it on longer) then remove from grill and place on a plate and cover with foil and let rest for 10 minutes.
3. Place steaks one at a time on the cutting board and using a very sharp carving knife, cut against the grain about 1/2 an inch thick. Serve with fried rice.
4. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This looks great! Ill have to try it soon. I have been itching to try some new Korean recipes to throw in the mix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried this recipe and it was insanely good. Best tasting skirt steak I have ever had. I will definitely have to try your other recipes. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete