One of my favorite thing to order when I am out for breakfast is omelettes. They come with all kinds of optional ingredients so you can make something unique. I had one a little while back that had chicken sausage, basil, sun dried tomatoes and mozzarella cheese in it and was covered in marinara. I mean there are tons of possibilities. All I can say is experiment with your ingredients. What I will show you here is how to, step by step, assemble the perfect omelette so you can start making these delicious meals without having to go to a restaurant.
1. Dice up all your ingredients that you plan to use for your omelette. For mine I used onions, mushrooms, green peppers and ham.
2. Whisk together 3 eggs, a shot of hot sauce (I used Cholula), black pepper and a tablespoon of milk.
3. In a small saute pan, add 1/2 a tablespoon of butter and cook your omelette's fillings for about 7 - 9 minutes over medium heat.
4. Start this step when your filling is about 1/2 way done. In a medium sized saute pan, heat 1/2 a tablespoon of butter over medium heat then add the egg mixture.
5. Cover the egg mixture with whatever you can. What you are doing here is creating an egg pancake. Flipping this big guy is a pain so if you cover it, the steam will cook the top.
6. After the eggs have been cooking for about 3 - 4 minutes, remove the lip. Lift the edges of your egg pancake and tilt the pan in that direction to allow any uncooked egg to get onto the heat. Do this in 4 different places. Then place cheese on top of the eggs, I used medium cheddar for mine, cover and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
7. Remove from the pan and set in the middle of a plate. Turn off your fillings as well. Now you are ready to assemble.
8. Place your filling on one side of your eggs.
9. Fold the unfilled side over and cover with more cheese. Place in the microwave for 1 minute.
10. Remove from microwave and serve with breakfast potatoes for the which the recipe is below. Enjoy!
** Breakfast Potatoes **
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 russet potatoes, I usually do about 1 per person, cubed
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- salt and pepper
- cheddar cheese (optional)
1. In a large cast iron skillet, add the butter and melt over medium heat. Add the potatoes and onions and stir well. Then mix in the garlic powder, garlic salt then season with salt and pepper until it tastes awesome. Preheat over at 350.
2. Cook, stirring occasionally trying to brown the unbrowned sides, for about 25 minutes or until the potatoes are getting soft. Cover with cheese (optional) and set in oven for about 5 minutes. Remove from over.