Thursday, January 13, 2011

Korean Fried Chicken

KFC

When I was in Hawaii I had this called Korean chicken. It basically consists of super crispy chicken smothered in a very tasty sauce. So when I came home I knew this was one of those dishes I was going to have to make. So I found this recipe and finally got to make it last night. Let me tell you it was amazing. Now I am not going to lie it wasn't what I was expecting but it was very tasty none the less. I think that there is a Hawaiin version that would probably be the same thing just with a different sauce. When I find a recupe for that I will be making that too. I am still very happy with the results. The chicken was crispy and moist inside and the sauce was spicy and savory.

Here's the recipe for Korean Fried Chicken which was adapted from this recipe from Ellie on AlmostBourdain.BlogSpot.com. Hope you all like it.
http://almostbourdain.blogspot.com/2010/10/kfc-korean-fried-chicken.html

Kitchen Notes
* The gochujang is an ingredient you will probably only find in a korean grocery store. This sauce is comprised of chilis and fermented soy beans which I was able to find at this awesome grocery store I shop at. The beans were still whole thus the reason I ran it through a food processor.
* I used boneless skinless chicken thighs for my recipe but the original calls for chicken wings which would have been awesome as well.
* Makes 4 servings

Ingredients
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 & 1/4 cup flour
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 & 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 4 teaspoons sesame oil
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 inch ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup gochujang
- oil for frying (I use peanut oil)

The Process
1. To make the batter combine the flour, egg whites, salt and water in a bowl and whisk together. You are looking for lines in the batter when the whisk passes through it. If it's too thin add more flour, too thick more water.
2. To make sauce combine soy, vinegar, honey, sesame oil, sugar, ginger, garlic and gochujang in a food processor and purree until smooth. Set aside.
3. Heat the oil until it reaches 350 degrees. Then take your chicken pieces, dunk in the batter, shake off excess then drop in batches into the fryer. Fry for 5 minutes and remove and set on paper towels. Repeat this until all the pieces have been once fried.
4. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, return the them in batches to the deep fryer and cook until they are nice and dark brown about 5 minutes. Repeat this for the other pieces.
5. Toss the chicken pieces in the sauce then serve with white rice.
6. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment