Monday, January 31, 2011

Hot Sauce

Hot Sauce

Last week I saw a blog post about this guy's attempt at making hot sauce. Me being a foodie and a HUGE fan of spicy food I immediately decided that this was something that I needed, no required to do. Let me start this by saying I probably hace 10-20 different bottles of hot sauce in my posession. I literally have 3 different sauces in my desk at work. When I have pho it will have a red hue when I am done putting sriracha in it. I have been putting Tabasco sauce on just about everything for as long as I can remember. I determined that making this unknown sauce was my new calling and I needed to make it happen.

So I started poking around the internets and found that it is way easier than expected. All you really do is take some peppers, boil then they blend them up with some form of liquid. That was actually the hardest part of the whole process was deciding what kind of peppers and liquid to use. I knew I wanted it hot so I immediately chose habenaros for my peppers. Then when I went to my awesome local grocery store I discovered they had a ton of these little Thai green chilies that are compareably to their orange cousins. I bought some and a ton of habenaroes and you should have seen the look on the checker's face when he weighed them. Then the second decision was upon me, what kind of liquid to use. So I started looking at all the hot sauces I have in my pantry and I noticed a trend, the first ingredient is usually vinegar. Bam decision made.

I then started making it and let me tell you it was an interesting experience. When I was boiling them I literally was coughing because of the hot, humid conditions it was creating in my kitchen. There was coughing, sneezing and even some tears and I hadn't even put it all together yet. Thankfully the wife was asleep because I probably would have been cooking this on the camp stove in the garage. I finally got it all done and put into containers. I then tried it and discovered that it was insanely hot. I had my above mentioned chosen one try some on a pot sticker and it literally took her breath away.

My battle wasn't over yet though. I was then left with one major decision, what to name it. So please if you have any suggestions please leave me a comment below I would really appreciate it.

Kitchen Notes
* Be VERY careful when making this. These peppers will remove paint from your wall so if you get any of it in your eyes or something, you are going to pay for it.
* Any kitchen tool you use in this recipe will need to be cleaned with bleach to kill the heat.
* You can use any peppers you want to I just wanted it really hot and habenaroes and Thai chilies definitely did the trick.
* You can use any sort of liquid you want like ketchup, tomato paste, water. I used vinegar because I wanted that extra bite.

Ingredients
- 20 habenaro peppers, stem removed
- 30 Thai chilies, stem removed
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 carrots peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, skin removed
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 - 1 cup white vinegar

The Process
1. In a medium sauce pot add the peppers, onion, carrots, garlic and 1 tablespoon of salt and enough water to cover them then place over high heat on the stove. Boil for 20 minutes then drain off liquid.
2. Add the peppers and veggies to a blender and purree. Start adding vinegar until you get the consistency you are looking for. Season with remaining tablespoon of salt then place in jars in the fridge.
3. Enjoy sparingly on anything that needs a little heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment