Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Tamale Pie

Tamale Pie

Here's a new recipe to me and I have no idea why I have never tried this before. I'm not saying I've never made this dish which I haven't, I have never had a Tamale Pie. What was I thinking? I have lived on this planet for 28.4 years and I have never had this delicious Tex-Mex dish. So I figured I should make this. I had the general idea of how it works. Make some taco meat, mix in some veggies then cover it in cornbread and bake it in the oven. Piece of cake right? It was trust me. So here's the recipe I made up I hope you all like it. Any questions or suggestions let me know.

Kitchen Notes
* If you don't have a cast iron skillet, put the meat in the bottom of a casserole dish then the cornbread mix over the top.
* You can use ground beef or chicken or whatever kind of protein you like.
* While you are browning the meat make the cornbread.
* Makes 6 servings.

Ingredients
- 1 pack of ground turkey (it's about 1.33 pounds)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red peppers
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon mexican oregano
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 cup corn kernals
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup veggie/canola
- 1/4 cup chopped jalapenos
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

The Process
1. In a large cast iron skillet over medium heat, combine the ground turkey, onion, garlic and crushed red peppers in the pan. Using a spatula break up the meat as small as you can while it cooks and all the meat turns greyish.
2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Add the cumin, oregano, chili powder, stock and tomato paste and cook until about half of the liquid has evaporated about 5 minutes. Stir in the beans and corn and cook until the corn is heated through. Season with the 2 teaspoons of salt and the pepper. Then stir in 2 tablespoons of the flour and stir to combine it should get pretty thick.
3. Combine the 1 cup of flour in a bowl with the corn meal, baking powder and salt and using a whisk, combine. Then in a seperate bowl combine the egg, mild and the oil and whisk well. Stir the wet into the dry and whisk again then fold in the jalapenos.
4. Level your meat mixture as best as you can in the cast iron skillet. Then place the cheese over the top of it and give it a couple of minutes to melt. Then pour the cornbread over the top of that making sure it's as flat as possible. Place in the oven and bake for 15 - 20 minutes or untilt the cornbread is cooked through.
5. Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes until slicing into pie sliced pieces.
6. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment