Monday, February 18, 2013

I'm Back and I'm Making Ranch



I know, I know, it's been a while. Like well over a year a while. It's not that I haven't been cooking I'm always doing that. However I needed to free up some time to finish my MBA and I'm learning how to play the guitar now so I've been busy. However, after many requests from my friends I'm back to writing recipes and to start here's a new one that I've been using a lot as of late.

One of the biggest changes the wife and I have made is to quit using anything that we don't make ourselves. We were already pretty good about this but now we are going a little over board. We are also not using anything that is termed light or low fat because the chemicals and techniques they use to make these products actually make them more unhealthy for you than their full flavored counterparts.

So this recipe is for homemade buttermilk ranch. It's pretty killer. You can change the quantities to whatever pleases your pallet but this is a good base. All the dried ingredients are dried so with a well stocked pantry and a little sour cream, you'll be good to go. Any questions please feel free to ask.

Kitchen Notes
* Make sure to let this sit for at least 24 hours before using it or it will just taste like mayo.
* This keeps for about a month in the refrigerator.
* Makes about 2 cups.

Ingredients
* 1 cup mayo
* 1/2 cup sour cream
* 1/4 cup buttermilk
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
* 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
* 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
* 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
* salt and pepper to taste (about 1/4 teaspoon a piece)

The Process
1. Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix well with a whisk until it's smooth. If it's too thick for your liking add a little more buttermilk.
2. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, I have fresh, raw buttermilk in my fridge from making butter this week!

    ReplyDelete