Thursday, September 30, 2010
Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches
Chicken Parmesan is a dish I have always had served over pasta and traditionally that's the case. The first time I put it on a roll and served it as a sandwich I was in heaven. You can still serve it over pasta if you like but this method is Superior in my opinion. Also experiment with the bread as well you can use baguettes, kaiser rolls, hoagies, french bread, they all work well. My recipe for marinara sauce can be found here. You can serve this sandwich with anything from fries to salad. Hope you like it. If you have any questions please feel free to email me. I love talking about food.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 4 kaiser rolls
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3 eggs beaten
- 2 cups Italian bread crumbs
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups of your favorite marinara sauce
- olive oil for frying
1. Take each chicken breast and place between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Then using a meat mallet, pound out each chicken breast until it's about 1/2 an inch thick evenly.
2. Place the flower, eggs and bread crumbs in their own individual shallow pans and make an assembly line. Season each chicken breast with salt, pepper and garlic powder. The take the chicken and dredge in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs, shake off any excess then set aside. Do this for each piece of chicken.
3. Heat 1/2 an inch of olive oil in a heavy bottom pan such as a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Also set your oven to broil. When the oil is hot, place the chicken pieces in one at a time, usually 2 at a time, and fry on each side for about 5 minutes until chicken pieces are golden brown. Take out of oil and place on paper towels to cool.
4. Take the rolls and cut in half, then smother each side of the roll with marinara sauce like you would mayo. Then place a piece of cheese on each half roll. Place in oven cheese side up, until each piece has it's cheese melted and it's golden brown.
5. To assemble the sandwiches, take to roll halves, place a chicken piece on it, cover with a little more marinara then put the other roll half on top. Cut in half and serve.
Posted by Christian and Kishelle Linenko at 1:19 PM